The Yoga 4 Backs course is one of the Core modules for our 500/300 Hour Teacher Training Program. This course can be taken as a standalone training to supplement your previous education, or as hours towards earning your 500/300 certification through AOTS.
This course is taught by both Stefani Wilton (Certified Massage Therapist and Certified Yoga Therapist) and by Aaron Patrick (Yoga Technologist, Critical Alignment Yoga Therapist).
AN INTRODUCTION TO YOGA AS A MOVEMENT THERAPY
We are in the midst of an epidemic of back, hip and shoulder pain. The statistics on back pain alone are quite alarming, suggesting that over 80% of people will experience some sort of back pain in their lifetime. Our varied lifestyle choices have more often than not favored comfort, convenience and excitement over connection, functionality and sustainability. The resultant physical, mental and energetic bodies are often left hardened, restricted and dull - likely suffering in pain. Freedom from this pain goes much deeper than resolving the physical tissues of the body, as this pain has become lodged deep within the psyche and the energetic body of the individual.
The physical malformations that develop have a lengthy and often complicated history. A lifetime of social conditioning, emotional (dis)stress and dysfunctional habitual postural and movement patterns have manifested all sorts of interesting and potentially painful results. Restoring function goes far beyond merely targeting and 'stretching' muscle groups.
The exciting news is that there is freedom from what we have described. These methods we will be teaching will go a very long way in supporting your students in recovery from their pain and restoration of their natural state of strength and mobility.
*** please be aware that completion of this course does not certify you as a CAT teacher or Yoga Therapist
WHAT WILL I LEARN?
FROM STEFANI WILTON (B.A., RMT, C-IAYT, E-RYT, YACEP)
Registered Yoga and Massage Therapist
- What is the core? How do we activate it without causing tension?
- Re-patterning the Core with movement therapy applications in yin and restorative yoga
- How to release core tension and support deep relaxation and healing
- How to reset the Nervous System
- How to support students who are in acute pain
- The Core and Your Breath, How to Find Your Breath
- Hands-on assists and Massage Techniques for Core Restore practice
- Biomechanics of Core Restore Asana
- Supporting the Upper Crossed and Lower Crossed Syndromes with Movement Therapy
- Releasing the Psoas with Movement Therapy
- Re-patterning the Pelvis with Movement Therapy
- Re-patterning the feet with Movement Therapy
- Re-patterning the knees with Movement Therapy
FROM AARON PATRICK (Yoga Technologist, CAT)
- To see more
- To understand connections and movement chains
- To recognize movement restrictions, and common dysfunctional and habitual movement and postural patterns
- About the anatomical organization of the musculoskeletal and nervous systems
- About the "Pain System"
- The common complaints caused by physical malformations
- Methods of treating and correcting malformations
- The Critical Alignment Yoga 'soft prop' coordination exercises
- The application of the Critical Alignment Yoga exercises in introducing and correcting movement patterns